This is a big picture view of the key components of a healthy lifestyle.
(Notice the acronym N-E-U-R-O from the book The Alzheimer’s Solution by Dean and Ayesha Sherzai).
Diet should emphasize Whole Foods and be Plant Based.
- Vegetables-a big variety, especially dark green leafy and cruciferous (like broccoli, cauliflower and Kale)
- Fruits-especially berries
- Legumes (pinto and black beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas)
- Whole Grains (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, whole wheat)
- Some Nuts and Seeds, Mushrooms and Onions/Garlic, Spices-especially Turmeric
Avoid Animal Products (Meats*, Dairy**, Eggs***) and Processed Foods
- (*all meat, but especially red meat and processed meats)
- (**especially high fat (cheese) or with added sugar (ice cream))
- (***yes, eggs too!)
- Physical Activity Throughout the Day
- 150-300 Hours per week of Moderate Intensity Physical Activity (75-150 Hours if Strenuous)
- Avoid Prolonged Inactivity
- Intentionally Relax and Unwind
- Seek Joy. Avoid Negative Stress
- Encourage Healthy Sleep
- Avoid Disturbances to Sleep
- Seek Brain Strengthening Experiences
- Complex Positive Activities
- Strong Social Connections
- Meaningful and Purposeful Experiences
- Stop Harmful Lifestyles
- Make Safe Lifestyles a Priority
For a collection of specific examples of possible lifestyle steps to consider making, setting the course for your best possible health, go to the Lifestyle Steps Examples page.
Print the Lifestyle Steps Summary page for a quick reference.
Click to get back to Essential pages.