The key components.
Take a quick look at the what is generally accepted in the field of Lifestyle Medicine as the ingredients of the healthiest lifestyle. Then watch one of the thought provoking documentaries linked to below:
Notice the acronym N-E-U-R-O from the The Alzheimer’s Solution by Drs Dean and Ayesha Sherzai. (I added the C at end for Caution.)
Diet should emphasize Whole Foods and be Plant Based.
- Vegetables-a big variety, especially dark green leafy and cruciferous (like broccoli, cauliflower and kale)
- Fruits-especially berries
- Legumes (pinto and black beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas)
- Whole Grains (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, whole wheat)
- Some Nuts and Seeds, Mushrooms and Onions/Garlic, Spices-especially Turmeric
Avoid Animal Products (Meats*, Dairy**, Eggs***) and Processed Foods
- (*not only red meat but also poultry and fish, and especially processed meats)
- (**especially high fat (cheese) or with added sugar (ice cream))
- (***yes, eggs too!)
Take the vitamins that may be lacking for you
- Vitamin D3 for most people, especially those not regularly exposed to sunlight
- Vitamin B12 especially for those that eat primarily plant-based
- Physical Activity Throughout the Day
- 150-300 Hours per week of Moderate Intensity Physical Activity (75-150 Hours if Strenuous)
- Avoid Prolonged Inactivity
- Intentionally Relax and Unwind
- Seek Joy. Avoid Negative Stress
- Encourage Healthy Sleep
- Avoid Disturbances to Sleep
- Seek Brain Strengthening Experiences
- Complex Positive Activities
- Strong Social Connections
- Meaningful and Purposeful Experiences
- Stop Harmful Lifestyles
- Make Safety a Priority
- Watch out for Toxins in our Food and Environment
With these ideas about what makes up the healthiest lifestyle in mind, please enjoy watching one of these informative and inspiring documentaries:
Forks Over Knifes has helped millions of people to discover how a healthy lifestyle can treat many common medical conditions. It follows everyday people as they learn to use a whole-food, plant-based diet to improve their health and reverse the underlying causes of their medical conditions.
What The Health tells a fascinating story surrounding the importance of Plant Based Diets and why the nation’s leading health organizations don’t seem to want people to know about it.
The Game Changers explores how a plant based diet can be part of the quest for ultimate athletic performance. The Game Changers Website is also an excellent resource.
The information on this page and the documentary that I hope you just enjoyed have likely brought some questions to mind. The next page, Lifestyle Steps Examples, will shed some more light on why these are important steps to take, and how that can be successfully done.
See you again soon.
Ted Nyquist, MD.
Click to get back to Home page.